Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Back on line!

After reviewing the multiple--and at times belligerent--comments in regard to my absence from blogging, I must say that it's nice to be missed!

In the interim, I've filled my time with numerous and varied activities:
  • My first experience with Q2 (every other night) call. This was an interesting experience as I worked admitting patients February 28th, and then at 0700 March 1 I picked up seven new patients after handing off my old ones. And then after sleeping that afternoon, I was on call again March 2nd. This delightful scheduling mishap was the result of someone, somewhere, inadvertently having me switch teams although I was on wards back-to-back. All in all, it wasn't too bad, but now I know what some of my surgeon friends experience on a much more regular basis.
  • Grading write-ups. My medical students had a big deadline last week, so I spent hours looking over their write-ups and making recommendations for improvements. I even helped a couple of them find a pertinent article to include!
  • A grade-school production of the musical Secret Garden at my brother's school. It was a cute little story, made even cuter by the kids' little mistakes!
  • A community symphony orchestra performance of Mozart's 25th Symphony and a Wieniawki violin concerto performed by a somewhat lackadaisical Juilliard grad student. Pizza and beer afterward.
  • Running.
  • Family time with my niece, nephew, brother, brother-in-law, and sisters over the weekend.
  • Dessert and entertainment with friends (Brad, Crystal, Bonnie; rum cake and the Academy Awards)

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Man, I missed the perfect opportunity to use the word "sundry" in the above post. "...sundry activities."

I did manage, however, to work the word "exhume" into casual conversation the other day, about which I was quite pleased.

Anonymous said...

I wondered what dessert you came up with. Was it good?
GFH

Anonymous said...

I fully expected a comment about enjoying a fine cigar on your list of activities now that you have "entered a new era."