Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Toward better psychosocial health

So I've noticed a bad pattern I've fallen into. It happens in the line at the cafeteria. There are typically three cashiers working during the busy lunch hour. One of them is a younger Hispanic girl who evidently thinks I'm attractive. I know this because she'll say things like, Que guapo! and Hola muchacho lindo! when I step up with my lunch. My tactic so far has been to smile and pretend I don't understand Spanish.

This approach awkwardly failed me last week when she asked me if I understood what she said. I feigned confusion, until she wrote it down...in English. You can imagine what happened next. My cheeks turned red. She smiled. We passionately kissed, nickels and dimes rolling across the tiled floor.

No, no kiss. Instead, these days as I'm in line, I peer ahead and hope she isn't working today. And then, if she is, as I get closer I count the people ahead of me and try to guess which cashier will be the one to say "next" when I'm at the head of the line. I've even considered letting the person behind me cut to avoid her.

At this stage, I feel there's a problem. I shouldn't dread buying lunch in the cafeteria. I shouldn't have to go buy felafel on the street every day to avoid her. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Reading this post reminded me of your previous latin lovers. (That girl in Venezuela that had the hugest crush on you and gave you the Taz socks) =0))

Anonymous said...

Actually, the passionate kiss sounded like a good idea... what's the worst that can happen if you say thanks and wink.

Anonymous said...

'Hola muchacho lindo' es mucho mejor que 'Quiero ser la mama de sus bebes'.

Clay suggests that you borrow his wedding ring and conveniently display it as you pay for your lunch.

Anonymous said...

Or how about coming to work rather scruffy -- no shower, no deodorant, no shave, etc.
Maybe you could scare her off! =)
-cfa

Melissa said...

I'm not so sure C...if he avoids her that will just intensify her interest for the illusive resident...perhaps it is time to throw down the lunch tray and go in for the kiss.

Anonymous said...

Talkin' isn't doing. Why don't you just enjoy the spotlight for once? Any next step (or none) is yours. I had to go through a business telephone operator for a while (when there were such things) who called me "her baby". Didn't stop me from making calls, and it was kind of fun once I got past the humiliating aspects of it.

Anonymous said...

Pretend your Gay......I have no problem telling guys I'm a Lesbian. It's great! saves u from the stress of look'n evil having to reject someone.....

OK then again maybe u should just 'work it,'....and get some free meals.