Monday, February 12, 2007

Bigger isn't always better


Last night my roommate Clay and his friend from out of town and I made a trek to the East Side's famed Serendipity restaurant. Evidently there was a movie that involved the restaurant. I'm not clear if it was famous before the movie, though from the quality of the food and waitstaff I would be surprised.
Most famous for desserts, it's not uncommon to wait a couple hours for a table at this restaurant. We put our name in and then slipped down the street to share a pizza at California Pizza Kitchen. On returning to the crowded and dark Serendipity, the three of us shared two gigantic sundaes.
The peanut butter humble pie was, to be sure, good, and the bananas and vanilla ice cream complemented it well. But the chocolate cake sundae was just so-so in my opinion. At $13.50 apiece they weren't cheap, but there was definitely plenty: I think one sundae would have been plenty for three people.
We had one somewhat rude encounter with the host (whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?) and evidently we weren't the only ones. See this review I found. So, bottom line is that if you want to pay a lot of money for an oversized dessert that isn't great, Serendipity is the restaurant for you. Otherwise, I think a pint of Haagen-Dasz offers better value. And it won't be rude to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The host didn't like that you brought in a couple slices from California Pizza Kitchen?

Anonymous said...

In the movie they have some type of huge coffee/ice cream type dessert in a very large glass.