Thursday, September 15, 2005

Old people...you gotta love them!

No disrespect intended here...I just have really enjoyed my interactions with the local AARP members coming into clinic. They seem much more alert and with-it than the average Medicare patient coming in the E.R. I can even joke with several of them.

One gentleman, easly three times my age, told me that we physicians are looking younger and younger now-a-days. He asked me how old I was, and I replied, "Let's put it this way, I'll get to start voting next year!" His robust laughter affirmed me.

Another 85 year-old patient had answered no to almost all of my questions: "Are you having a cough? Any trouble sleeping? Any shortness of breath?" As I tried to figure out exactly why he'd been referred to pulmonary clinic, I said, "Sounds like you're a pretty healthy young man!" He was flattered.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try out the line, "So this year, you're 82 years young!"

P.S. Let it be known to all that Tyson is my roommate David.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is also the best part about working at the VA. Those old guys crack me up...

Anonymous said...

Apparently I can't spell my own name...Oops!

Chair said...

"82 years young?" Jonathan please no! That sounds like something Grandfather would have said and thought he was oh so funny.
Well in the case, maybe you should use it...