Saturday, March 29, 2008

A stroll through Central Park


A stroll through Central Park sounds delightful, and that's exactly what I'll be doing this spring and summer, rather than running. It is with sadness that for this season I am retiring the "running" label from the blog. I have forgone this love affair during the spring and summer of 2007 owing to a festering knee injury.

After a few months' rest, I thought I was on the mend. I even started a disciplined running regimen to slowly get back into the sport and strengthen the sinews of my joint. On day one, I jogged 100 paces around the track. On day three, I went 110 paces. The next time, it was 121 paces, and then 133, increasing by 10% each time. I made it to 146 paces before the inflammatory pain came and stayed for a week.

These days, a quick sprint across Broadway to catch a bus can be felt a few days later. And so the running and the writing about running must draw to a close. Perhaps the autumn will bring fresh stamina. Until then, I'll stick to the weights at the gym and maybe even venture over to the elliptical machines once in a while, staying well out of sight of the beloved treadmill.
Interesting article about the runner's high.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to find you posting again. I've missed you.
gfh