Tuesday, April 15, 2008

One Ireland Have I Loved

Unfortunately my posting has not been as regular on this vacation as last year's London trip. So far, it's been a great time abroad; I've really enjoyed the time in the countryside, particularly rustic Dingle Penninsula on the far western edge of Europe.

The title of my post is a tongue-in-cheek title I have planned for my memoirs of this trip. I plan to include several lines of Gaelic poetry as well. So far, all I have is, "Green, green are the meadows/Blue, blue is the sky/I like Guinness."

Some better poetry I have been reminded of several times as we drive through the countryside is that of Ireland's famous son, W.B. Yeats:

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And make a small cabin there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
and evening's full of the linnet's wings.
I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavement grey,
I hear it to the heart's core.

In just a few short days there's already far too much to write in one post. I will say, however, that the weather has been phenomenal. Perhaps slightly warmer than New York this time of year, with a couple soft afternoon rains but still plenty of sunshine. The dark rain clouds with the sun peeking out have made for plenty absolutely gorgeous photo opportunities at ancient ruins and country manors, as well as many a rainbow sighting, though nary a pot of gold.

I've also enjoyed the warmth of the Irish people, who seem a bit reserved on first meeting, though are generally friendly and even boisterous after a pint.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"even boisterous after a pint"...
and do JM & DO become boisterous after a pint?