Sunday, July 02, 2006

Hello New York City

Several days on the road have finally brought me to this exciting city! I've noticed, however, that some of the magic of skyscrapers, crowds at street corners, mazes of dingy subways, and the bright lights of Broadway has lost a bit of its luster as I've gotten used to these things. A moment's reflection makes me realize that even the most amazing things are bound to become ordinary...I'm just beginning the process of becoming a New Yorker.

And in this process, I can begin to appreciate a whole new level of subtleties. The joy of living close to an express train that quickly takes me to church, Lincoln Center, work, the Port Authority Bus Terminal, Central Park, Penn Station, or Battery Park. Buying fruit on the street. Discovering a hidden green space tucked away in the far northern reaches of Manhattan. Ducking into a subway station for cover during a sudden summer afternoon shower. Reading The Economist on the subway (thank you John F.).

The trip here was also one to remember. After a tough day of driving, Mom and I crashed at Aunt Chris' house in Lexington, Kentucky. The following day brought us to picture-perfect Cleveland to see my newlywed friends David and Louisa. From this time on, the weather was dreary until after I'd moved to New York City. We got to spend a couple days with Uncle Paul and Aunt Betty in Philaelphia in their small but cozy and amazingly hospitable home. Dad flew in from Germany during this time.

I'm toying with giving up a degree of anonymity on this blog. Whereas I'd kept my city hidden in the past, I've already made it clear I'm now living in New York. It would be hard to write about life here without it being obvious, anyway. More specifically, I'm living in the predominately Dominican neighborhood of Washington Heights. One of the jewels of this part of town is Fort Tryon Park with its Cloisters museum. Rent is not bad for a spacious apartment, and the subways of course make it easy to commute to work.

So that's where I am. I look forward to whatever adventures may lie ahead...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finally ridding yourself of that pesky anonymity. People think it's easy to stalk folks these days with the internet and all, but try stalking someone for a year and then you'll see. I'll be reading...and watching,
a friend

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention as part of your memorable trip calling us as you passed by Scranton, PA, and sharing the joy that is "The Office." By the way, we want a picture with you next to the sign!

Marianne said...

Well you can count on us to have some adventures with you now that you're in our neck of the woods! Philadelphia is just the latest borough of NYC.

Anonymous said...

Jonathan, you are an inspiration to us all!
From trips and signs to wine and friends, you continually embrace the joys of God's gracious blessings.
Thanks for letting me share in your trip to NY.
Mom

Luke said...

We're hoping to come visit this Fall!!