Saturday, July 01, 2006

Saying goodbye to Texas

My blog has been sadly neglected for the last several weeks, for which I apologize. I regret on a personal level too, for fear that unrecorded memories will gradually fade away. My last few weeks in Texas were a wonderful blur of packing, studying for and taking the boards, and most importantly, seeing dear friends and family for the last time. Scheduled to leave Texas Wednesday, June 21, I found the time leading up to this date replete with meaningful time with many of those closest to me, thanks in no small part to some advanced planning on my end.

I don't feel that I'm exaggerating when I say that these recent memories are some of the best from my years in this city in Texas.
  • My last symphony concert in this city with Joe and Trevor. We had a quick dinner at Pei Wei before walking to downtown for a phenomenal performance of Pictures at an Exhibition.
  • A trip to my old college stomping-grounds in Waco. Time with Steve & Laura, and their three winsome children Oak, Eleanor, and John. Visiting my old church, which though in a new building, feels very much like home.
  • Coffee with old friend Jane and new friend James, who happen to be engaged (to each other).
  • The parents of my good friend from college, Emily, treating me to dinner at a neighborhood Thai restaurant. Waterfall beef!
  • Mom and Shelley, Roman and Isabella helping me pack! What a boost in morale!
  • A week of night shifts in the ER.
  • Lunch with Scott and Michael at Cafe Brazil after my last Sunday at PCPC. Studying all afternoon with Scott--law & medicine at the kitchen table!
  • Dinner with Taylor and Jenny, two of my favorite wine-drinking companions!
  • Dinner with Adam and Ashley at Cafe Brazil the night before our respective USMLE exams. Two of my most committed prospective vistors!
  • The board exams, a two-day affair with graduation in between, for which my parents came in town. Getting to see Adam at nearly every break made the day go a lot faster.
  • Spending time with my old roommates in Waco, David & Clint, and Clint's wife Kristin. Too many memories to recount.
  • Sharing a couple meals with Reese & Jennifer, two incredibly encouraging people. And Madeline!
  • Coffee with two dear professors. Saying goodbye to one for perhaps the last time. I can still vividly see her smiling at me through the car window as they drove away.
  • Indroducing Jessica to Dr J, one of my favorite college professors. A medievalist, linguist, and distinguished professsor of literature and religion. In short, a modern C.S. Lewis.
  • Coffee with Bonnie and Scott outdoors on one hot Texas afternoon.
  • Dinner with Clay and Lori. I've eaten at more Mexican places with these people! (Of course, this time was Salvadorian...)
  • Breakfast with Dawn at Breadwinner's
  • My final day...using coupons to get drapes for my new apartment from Bed, Bath, & Beyond. David, Clay, Jessica, Laura, Mom, Shelley, Roman, and Bella all helped me pack. Charity came over in the evening to see me off.
  • My last meal in this city...grilled chicken on focaccia with peppers and onions with Nathan and Katy. Seeing their two daughters Emma and Margaret.
  • Mom and I pulled out of town Wednesday morning!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You can have the east side of the Mississippi! I'm moving to TX in less than two months!!!! Glad you enjoyed your final days.

ScottTexas said...

Jonathan, you haven't seen me for the last time! Good try, though.

Anonymous said...

What a rich life you have just left in Texas! Come back soon.