Friday, July 27, 2007

Lone Star vacation

When I moved to New York City, the possibilities for little excursions seemed endless: a hiking trip upstate to see the leaves change; a train ride to Washington; taking the Fung Wah (Chinatown bus) to Boston; perhaps even a little getaway to Montreal.

Although I have gone to Philadelphia to see relatives a number of times, and I had a great time going on my own to London, most of my time off has been spent in Texas. This includes a trip in October where it seems every meal I spent with a different friend or family member, a week at Christmas, a conference in May, and most recently the final week fo my second year of residency.

Former-fellow-small-group-leader Bonnie & Scott's wedding. They chose flattering earth tones for the run to the getaway car.


Mauricio came to Texas for a few days. The last time he had been in Texas, he was in a terrible car accident, so this trip was better. I took him to the Mesquite Rodeo.

My second-favorite event at the rodeo: calf-roping. My favorite event was when the little five-year-old girls were released from the chute riding a bucking lamb.

A cute girl who was sitting in front of us.

I took Mauricio to the Sixth Floor Museum which is all about the Kennedy assasination. Afterward we had a drink up in Reunion Tower. Here's a view of Dealy Plaza from the tower. The School Book Depository (which now houses the museum) is the 7-story orange brick building.

I went down to Waco for a day with DO to visit our old roommate Clint, his wife Kristin, and 8-month old Luke. Reese, Jennifer, and daughter Madeline came over for dinner. Here's a picture of Luke and Uncle Jonathan.

And an older picture of Luke. (This is the paradox of photography: the picture is older, but in it Luke is younger.) His hair is very soft and fluffy.

No comments: