Thursday, July 26, 2007

Morningside pics

I began taking pictures on my way to Morningside Heights. Somebody got the crazy idea to paint the fire hydrant. Spectacles like this reaffirm my respect for tradition and conformity. I don't care if it's "fun." We're all going to get sick of looking at it. Still makes for a good picture, though.

I'm proud of this shot. I intend to crop it a bit. It looks cool in black and white, the way the light plays off the many surfaces of the ironwork. Maybe I could make it into a greeting card. Probably one that starts off Blank Inside. Or perhaps a Late Birthday, since the iron curly-Q's fading into the distance could signify dejection.

Noooo, this isn't something from Transformers. It's the 125th Street subway station, nestled high up under the tracks. I think I won't love it in the winter as I stand on the open air platform waiting for trains.


Max SoHa's. (That's SOuth of HArlem) Very reasonably priced Italian food in a rustic setting.


Max SoHa's outdoor seating area. Utilized whenever the temperature is between 40 degrees and 95 degrees.

And now, here it is! My new apartment building is the one on the left. My windows are the ones on the third floor at the corner of the building. The tree in the foreground is across the street, but I included it in the shot to make it look more picturesque. On the ground floor is--I love it--Praise the Lord Dental.


This is the view out back. There were some kids playing baseball in this alley when I took the picture.


The view out front. This is Dustin's building. On the ground floor, obscured by the foliage, is another Italian restaurant with outdoor seating.

And lastly, a computer mass grave I stumbled across on Columbia's campus on my way to work out this afternoon. A little creepy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! It looks very picturesque. Although could be dangerous for me if I lived that close to an Italian restaurant!

Will you send me your new address so I can see it on a map?

Anonymous said...

Also - is there such a thing as SOHO rather than SOHA? I can't think of what it would be though - South of H_______?

Jonathan said...

You're right. SoHa is a spinoff from SoHo (which in New York means SOuth of HOuston--pronounced with the "ou" like "ouch"), though I believe THAT neighborhood was named after London's Soho. (Wikipedia says, however, says, "no relationship.")

Jonathan said...

By the way, Houston is a major east-west street, north of which the famous Manhattan numbered grid begins. It separates Greenich Village and the East Village above from SoHo, Little Italy, and the Lower East Side below.

Anonymous said...

found it on the map. =)
I always thought it was pronouced the "ho" like "ho ho ho". rather than the "how" sound you are describing?

Jonathan said...

Sorry, I wasn't clear. "Houston"="ouch", but "SoHo"="ho ho ho".