Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Coming clean about Les Mis

For those interested readers, TKTS is the name of a discounted theater ticket booth which offers reduced-price tickets for same-day shows in both London and New York.

And with regard to the title of the post--I did not run out of time last night on my post. I deleted the paragraph I'd written about Les Mis, knowing how most people feel about it. I didn't want to write anything inflammatory or upset people. Then I thought, ''Wait a minute, this is MY blog, I can express my opinions!''

So here they are: I found the musical uncompelling. The characters weren't well developed. The staging & set flat-out bored be. And the music was unmemorable, with the possible exception of the falsetto-drenched ''Bring Him Home''. Oh, I did like ''I Dreamed a Dream'', too.

So there. I think the musical is self-consciously so caught up in trying to tell a personal-yet-epic story that it fails to do both. Give me Sondheim over Schonberg any day. My apologies DO and CFA, but I think we can still be friends. (DO, perhaps you meant it's ''head and shoulders'' above Tarzan, which it is.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you feel you can write anything inflammatory that can upset people. Afterall it's your blog.
-D.O.

Anonymous said...

once again...another reason for me to ask the question "Are we even related?"
-cfa