Thursday, March 29, 2007

Niece & nephew

I talked to Roman (5) and Isabella (3) a few minutes each this evening. I've found it works best to ask Bella yes/no questions. "Did you go to the park today?" "Did you swim today?" "Did you reshingle the roof today?" At some point, the conversation became awkward when she stopped talking. I heard Shelley in the background trying to get the phone then, but then Bella didn't want to relinquish it. Maybe she wanted to hear me practice some monologues.

Roman was excited to tell me that they were going to read more of Narnia before going to sleep. He told me about Peter and Lucy, and the White Witch. I asked him if it was Always Winter And Sometimes Christmas in Narnia. He said no. I may have provoked an existential crisis by asking if he would ever consider visiting Narnia. "I would have to talk to Mommy first."

"But Roman, if the White Witch offered you Turkish Delight, would you take it?" I don't think I got a straight answer from him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I babysat Roman and Bella this weekend (shelley and Chris were both playing in a tennis match)

She had a darling outfit on... so I said "Bella, you look so cute!"
She smiled at me with dancing eyes and said "I know!"

How can you resist the little charmer though? When we were at the football stadium to watch a scrimmage - Roman wanted to go ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.(picture can be found here: http://www.saradonaldson.com/upcoming-events/tcu-photography.htm)
Anyway, she was walking in her glittery flip-flops and was feeling tired. She took J.T.'s hand, sighed dramatically and said "Uncle J.T. - may I please ride on your shoulders?"
The kid is charasmatic...
-cfa

Anonymous said...

Maybe instead of Roman, Bella might be the Turkish Delight girl. Invite her up for a ride in your sleigh.

Anonymous said...

I still hold to the maxim "Never take candy from a stranger".