Friday, March 02, 2007

Return of the comma

From the February 24, 2007 edition of The Economist, in an article about "off-shore" financial centres, er, centers like Dubai and Bermuda:

"Those that [become tax havens], they found, are overwhelmingly small, wealthy and, especially, well governed, with sound legal institutions, low levels of corruption and check and balances on government."

I count seven commas. I'm told that standard English is moving toward less and less punctuation; if this example is any indication, however, I'd have to disagree. On the other hand, I do note that in the constructions of a series with a first, second and third item in the list, the comma has been omitted after the second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know those sentence patterns I showed you that we had to use in high school English? Well, we were definitely taught to use the "Oxford comma"-- the comma between the second and third item in a series. So I'm scarred for life if the grammarians now say that it's superfluous!