Thursday, August 11, 2005

Bonnie and Clyde

I'm sure that all will recognize this picture:

That's right. It's the hotel room in Columbus, OH, where George and Jennifer Hyatte were recently apprehended by police. (See today's www.cnn.com) I'm sure this one will go down in the annals of photojournalism. Notice the rumpled sheets, the cans of soda and bottled water on the nightstand. It's telling. These weren't just criminals. They were people. Like you and me, they also wondered what kind of free breakfast there'd be the next day; they worried, "How clean are these bedspreads?"

I wonder if they thought to leave a tip for the maid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked at that picture, wondering why it looked like they slept in separate beds. For that matter, did the motel not have a queen sized bed?

Jonathan said...

I think the bed in the distance IS a queen-sized bed. I can easily imagine two pillows fitting across its width.

As for the answer about why both beds were unmade, of that I am unsure. The article did not address it, and to be quite frank, I hadn't wondered.