Thursday, August 18, 2005

"Total, total chaos"

That's how the Associated Press article's headline began. The event was a used laptop sale in Richmond, Virginia on August 16th. The subtitle read, "17 injured while trying to buy $50 computers in Virginia."

Even though I felt like I should be disgusted, something in me was somehow delighted to read such a story! I couldn't believe I was reading it in a reputable news source. I've excerpted some quotations below:

"A rush to buy $50 used laptops turned into a violent stampede Tuesday, with people getting thrown to the pavement, breaten with a folding chair and nearly drivcen over. One woman went so far as to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

"'This is total, total chaos,' said Latoya Jones, 19, who lost a flip-flop in the ordeal and later limped around on the sizzling blacktop with one foot bare.

"...When the gates opened, a mob scene ensued. People threw themselves forward, screaming and pushing...

"Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him. 'I took my chair here, and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, "Bam."' the 20-year-old said, his eyes on his new iBook, as he tapped on the keyboard at a testing station. 'They were getting in front of me, and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just,' he said."

Latoya's flip-flop

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog was created with a certain niche in mind and I'm confident that it is a topic that you are somewhat familiar with. There will be many readers that come to this blog from many different sources... the only thing you have to do to ensure that they come is to continue making salient post. :o)

Rainbow Vacuum Parts information... The Rainbow Vacuum Parts site.

Anonymous said...

good post... thanks.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what word might have triggered the unsolicited advertisers on this blog? Possibly "limped" or "wet herself" would reel in the elderly needs advertisers. Would "beat" flag the advertisers for vacuum cleaners with BEATer bars? Or possibly just the word "sale" alerted the other salesmen on the web?