Sunday, August 28, 2005

This bothers me

As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite parts of the Sunday paper is thumbing through the Parade magazine and reading the column "Ask Marilyn." I was mildly irrated to be stumped by a geometrical puzzle submitted by a reader. Of course Marilyn found an elegant--and correct--solution.

Toward the back of the magazine, I noticed a full page add for a "Faberge-inspired Tribute to a Departed Loved One." This is, in essence, a decorated egg on a pedestal which opens to reveal a winding staircase leading up to a cross. The egg "Plays the touching melody of Amazing Grace" and features "More than 175 sparkling faux jewels." All this is yours for "two convenient monthly installments of just $19.99."

What disturbed me was the inscription on the base of the pedestal.

If tears could build a stairway,
And memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to Heaven
And bring you home again.

No comments: