Saturday, December 03, 2005

Jonathan's week in review


Sometimes I feel compelled to blog about everything interesting that's happened in life. If I don't write it down, I may forget it! And for my readers' sake, those who follow me every step of the way, cheering me on, practically living through me, I hate to leave them hanging. (I love the scenes in The Truman Show that picture the fans watching the show, engrossed.)

So, here's my summary...

  • Finished ICU on Wednesday. The last few central lines I did with minimal supervision, and it's nice to feel much more comfortable with that procedure.
  • Interesting personal interactions. Attempting to get what I thought would be readily given consent for a central line, I was faced with questions such as, "Why do you need to do this procedure when he already has a line?" "Pneumothorax??? That's a pretty big risk. Is this really necessary?" With 10 minutes of sweet-talking, I finally got consent and spent about as long starting the line.
  • Went to the symphony on Thursday with Dawn. Beethoven's Violin Concerto was performed by a 17-year old who was technically comfortable, but, in the words of the reviewer in the next morning's paper, left us feeling like we just listened to a "very careful rehearsal." I would have preferred a few mistakes in exchange for a more carefree, extroverted, or at least unselfconscious performance. The Mahler First Symphony more than made up for what was lacking in the first half. Tucked away in every movement are soaring melodies marked by an intensity and richness that can only be Mahler. Winter decorations adorned the symphony center for this early December concert.
  • Had my car broken into, in broad daylight, in a good part of town. The would-be thief was after my CD player, which he did not get after attempting to wedge out my dashboard. In the midst of the shattered glass on the passenger seat, I found a red toboggan. The police didn't seem to interested in obtaining this to document DNA evidence from a stray hair.
  • Had a conversation with a patient about lymphangioleiomyomatosis. It's almost as much fun to write as to say.
  • Found myself, once again, on call at the hospital. Today, a friend from college named John who's doing surgery at a nearby hospital, is on call tonight too as he's rotating through for the month.