Tuesday, December 20, 2005

New York City strike

See article. This irritates me on a number of levels. Most of all is the fact that the union decided to shut down the daily public transportation for seven million people after they rejected a compromise offered by the MTA, and they did so in flagrant disregard for the law and a recent judicial injunction.

Now, I'm sure there are two sides to every story, but the union's demands must be put into context. 1. MTA has already offered raises that are above the rate of inflation. The union wants even bigger yearly raises. 2. The union workers get paid more than resident physicians in NYC. Something's wrong when the bus driver, who makes more than a doctor, is on strike for more money.

And why am I posting at 4:45 in the morning? Let's just say my irritation extends to my own work. I'm seeing ever more clearly how patients themselves get in the way of my taking care of them. My ICU transfer in the middle of the night: "I don't want a catheter!" "I don't want to stay in bed!" "I want to go home!" "I'm really starting to get worked up!"

To this last comment, I was pleased with my off-the-cuff reply: "Well you should be worked up! This abnormal heart rhythm can kill you! That's why we moved you here to the unit."

No comments: