Saturday, December 10, 2005

Overheard at the hospital...


My attending: "And did you see any changes on repeat EKG?"
Heather, my teammate: "Well, we didn't repeat the EKG, so no, we didn't see any changes."

(Do I need to explain why this is so hilarious that it took every last ounce of willpower not to crack up during teaching rounds? She's answering two questions. Her first answer makes the second one unnecessary. But since he asked two questions in one, she dutifully answers the other question, which, by itself, would be technically honest but essentially a lie.)

An oncology attending in the ER, addressing me after I'd completed a pulmonary consult with my then-departed pulmonary attending: "Well, your boss may know a lot about the lungs, but I don't think he's totally correct on this one. Maybe 75% correct."
Me, after an awkward silence during which I thought about what he wanted me to say, and whether I still had any of those sweet, juicy oranges that I could eat after I got home: "I guess I try to learn a little from everyone I work with."
Oncology MD: "Are you going into politics?"

The picture above is an old stone bridge in Princeton, New Jersey, taken on one of those amazing afternoons when you're not sure whether to bring your jacket with you on your stroll, or leave it in the car.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about, "Well, everyone's human. Fill me in on that last 15% and I'll be good to go!"

DH

Doctor J said...

I like those juicy little oranges too...They're so cute AND tasty!