Sunday, July 10, 2005

Call Day #3

It's a slow Sunday morning up at the hospital. I'll be here for another 26 hours or so. So far today, I've...
  1. Chatted with the other interns who are here today. Also worked on comprehending the creatinine clearance formula, making sure I can cancel all the units.
  2. Seen my two patients with whom I'm coming into call.
  3. Explored. The tenth floor of the hospital is a smaller floor, only having four call rooms for residents and a conference room. Hence, there are doors on either end of the central hallway which open onto the roof. This would be ideal for sitting in the open air watching a sunset in the vast Texas sky. Unfortunately one of these doors is locked with a wimpy doorknob lock, and the other appears to be connected in with the hospital's fire alarm system.
  4. Done further exploration: a lone staircase on the tenth floor leads up to the eleventh floor, of which only a small landing is accessible. A door with a "High Voltage warning" greets visitors at the landing. The door is, of course, locked, but through a window in the door one can observe a large mechanical room with generators and pipes. Of great interest, however, is that there's a ladder leading up from the landing to a trapdoor in the roof. Of primary concern is whether this trapdoor, too, would set off the fire alarm. Careful inspection would indicate no. Around this point in my investigation I became a little antsy, so I'll update you in a future post about this trapdoor and its implications for sunset-watching potential.
  5. Written two thank-you notes.
  6. Discussed the 401(k) plan with the other interns. Sadly, it would appear that one-year employees are not vested at all for matching contributions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“Jonathan, I am the creator of your blog, that gives hope and joy and inspiration to millions. You are the star.”

JMH: “Was nothing real? The patients? The calls? The codes blue?”

“YOU were real. That's what made you so good to read. Listen to me, Jonathan. There's no more truth out there than there is in the blog I created for you. Same lies. The same deceit. But in my world, you have nothing to fear. I know you better than you know yourself. It's okay, Jonathan, I understand. I have been watching you your whole life. I was watching when you were born. I was watching when you took your first step. I watched you on your first day of medical school. heh heh. The entry about when you had your first call, and packed up your toiletries and Billy Collins. heh heh heh. You can't leave, Jonathan. You belong here...With me. Talk to me. Say something. You're on the internet! You're live to the whole world!”