Saturday, July 02, 2005

My first call

Again, I awoke before my alarm feeling a little nervous. After a little tossing and turning, I eventually decided to go ahead and shower. The night before I’d thought ahead and packed an overnight bag. It contained:

  • A fresh tee-shirt and boxers
  • Clean socks
  • Toiletries (though I left the razor and shave cream at home…if there’s anytime a man deserves a day without a shave, it’s a day after a night without sleep!)
  • Spray shoe freshener. This is essentially spray deodorant designed for shoes. I suppose any spray deodorant would work, and would probably be cheaper. With my small closet at home with eight pairs of shoes inside, I feel better about not polluting the limited airspace with musty aromas.

I also thought it would be good to bring some reading material, in case it was a slow call day. As usual, I totally overestimated the amount of free time I’d have to read. In any case, armed with these books I marched into my first call:

  • Massachusetts General Hospital's Pocket Medicine. My copy is already annotated with helpful notes, such as how to properly analyze a patient’s acid-base status. (This one stays in my white coat, as does my palm pilot, and a pocket notebook in which to jot notes. And of course a pocket Pharmacoepia.)
  • The Washington Manual Intern’s Survival Guide. This book’s a bit overpriced at $30 and essentially contains the bare bones of Pocket Medicine. However, it is a briefer read and has some witty comments.
  • My new pager’s user’s manual. One of these days I’ll figure out how to use all the buttons.
  • Billy Collins’ Questions About Angels. The beauty of poetry is that, much like a juicy grape or a cruchy Triscuit, you can enjoy it in a very brief period of time. Sure, steak and wine is nice on occasion, but my first call is no time to make an attempt at finishing Anna Karenina.
  • Critical Care Handbook of the Massachusetts General Hospital. With an open ICU, I could always be admitting a unit patient.
  • Clinical Anesthsiology, published by Lange. This book came with enthusiastic recommendations, and being at a private hospital training program which emphasized “reading time,” I’d like to make my way through this book over the next 12 months. At approximately three pounds, this is a literal heavy-weight, but well worth reading potential.
  • Felson’s Principles of Chest Roentgenology: A Programmed Text. A slim book which reviews chest radiographs. In the time since radiology rounds as a third year medical student on internal medicine when I asked a radiologist what exactly a roentgenogram was, I’ve become much more comfortable with this esoteric, even archaic word. It seems to harken back to the golden days of radiology, when simple x-ray technology was the best way to look at the mediastinum, and radiologists didn’t have to compete with Pulmonary docs in CXR expertise. In any case, it’s a rudimentary text which should be a good refresher, even if it doesn’t probe the extent of the implications of distinguishing between reticulonodular and ground glass patterns.
  • Stationery, to catch up on the thank-you notes I need to write. These range from graduation gifts to a dinner with friends at their cozy apartment on Marquita Street. We had a bottle of Ruffino Chianti that night, which I believe we all enjoyed.

I don’t think I used a single item from this list. Perhaps that makes all the other interns feel a little better.

1 comment:

Doctor J said...

This is such a great snapshot of you. I would never think to bring shoe deoderant or a book of poetry with me on call. Although, I do so love Billy Collins (his poetry that is).