Saturday, July 30, 2005

Things I'll miss about this city...

Please note: I've edited this post to maintain my attempts to protect the confidentiality of my patients.

Arranged in no particular order, I've compiled a list of things I've enjoyed about living in this city. Ever since finding out in March that I'm leaving in June 2006, I've felt a little more nostalgic. There's still a lot to take in during the next 11 months!

Things I'll Miss

  1. Great sunsets in a huge sky
  2. My church (especially the organ & Colin, who plays it. And we couldn't forget the wonderful keyboard work of Stephen and Alex. All three of these men are masters. If they were Japanese cartoon characters, Colin's special power would be improv; Stephen, phrasing; and Alex, rubato.)
  3. Driving on the major north-south artery through town.
  4. Great local barbecue
  5. The fantatic view of downtown from various places in the city.
  6. The symphony center--all cold metal, stone, and glass outside, but dark blue, rich woods, and warm lights inside. Dozens of great concerts within its walls. A fantastic choral loft which is a small compromise on acoustics, but a great deal on price and visuals!
  7. The mansions on A_____. One of my favorite is an 80-year old home which is stately but not pretentious.
  8. The irony of life in this city. The "pretense" within some neighborhoods, and the readiness to spot & criticize pretense by those without.
  9. Driving through downtown.
  10. Visiting a local exclusive girls' school as a first year medical student taking "Human Behavior." We were to observe the way the children interact. This is a place, however, where girls quickly line up in gym class when the whistle is blown, where everyone wears plaid skirts, where any ol' first grader can tell you the definition of libretto, and where they serve "grilled tilapia," not "fish" for lunch.
  11. Studying with friends at various Borders and of course the big Barnes & Noble, back when they let you sit at the tables for hours!
  12. The major airport. This airport is extremely well laid-out, making it easy to park to nearly any gate.
  13. Delivering babies at the county hospital.
  14. The crazy experiences in the ~200+ hours I've worked in the psychiatric E.R.
  15. Teaching anatomy lab to first-year medical students
  16. Spiced chai at the Black Forest Cafe (at Half Priced Books)
  17. The gargantuan Half Priced Books.
  18. Beautiful churches.
  19. The classical music radio station, especially Adventures in Good Music with Karl Haas, and Sunday afternoon listener requests.
  20. Running on the local running trail. This is where Adam both inspired me and pushed me to the point of nausea.

To be continued...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you've pretty much given away what city you're in. By remarking that the local airport is "extremely well laid out", making it "easy to park" at "nearly any gate," you have effectively narrowed down possible airports in Texas to one.

It was a subtle slip, and perhaps only your astutest readers will be able to deduce your city from the passing description of the airport. Nevertheless, the hospital ethics panel is bound to be knocking on your door soon.

Jonathan said...

Indeed, it was a subtle slip, and you, dear reader, are astute. One of my finest.

I doubt, however, that the hospital ethics panel will be reading my blog so closely. And even if they were, their modest minds and liberal-artsy perspectives will prevent their following the trail as you have done, sage reader.

I can see how taken as a group, items 3 through 20 would be consistent if not unique to this STILL unnamed metropolitan area.

Doctor J said...

It is quite likely a determined reader would be able to determine the city you're in, if not the very hospital you're working at without the benefit of your list.

Mainly, the idea is to to allow a forum to discuss our lives while still maintaining sufficient anonymity for our patients, and I think you've done a fine job...and I can talk to some people if you decide you want to stay here next year!!

Jonathan said...

Yes, I think you're right in that first paragraph. My goal from the start was to keep this city relatively obscure, but I realize a close reading of the blog would yield ample clues. I try to make a "good faith" effort to protect my patients.

Then again, most people reading my blog probably know exactly where I train!