Thursday, July 14, 2005

Mission: accomplished

So I'm on call again today at the hospital. It's been a slower day--I've only admitted one patient all day, which I know many of my friends at busier institutions might balk at. In any case, during a lull in the afternoon, Clay and I continued exploring. (Okay, okay, so the entire afternoon was one big lull!)

The first order of business was reinvestigating the rooftop trapdoor. After making sure the coast was clear, we climbed the ladder on the top floor of the hospital and pushed open the trapdoor, which sent sunlight streaming down to the landing. We gingerly climbed out and surveyed the scene. The roof of the hospital was made of a soft, gray tar-like substance, and the view it afforded impressive. On a clearer day the sight would have been even better.


Looking south, one can see the center of this metropolitan center. A few of the major freeways coursing through town are readily observed, and a lake is just within view. The rooftop itself has a cluster of radio antennae, and a pleasant breeze greeted us as we basked under the vast Texas sky.

Okay, so the picture above isn't really the view from the hospital. But 10 points to the first person who can leave a comment with the name of the university that sits in the background, to the right of the smaller body of water. Hint: Listen my children, and you shall hear...

By the way, I thought this article was hilarious!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My face will be crimson if that's not a quote from Longfellow.

~Rasputin

Jonathan said...

No points for you, Rasputin. But here's an extra bonus: Name the annual boat race that takes place in this smaller body of water.

Bonnie said...

There are a couple of schools back there. Immediately is the Massachussets Technical Institute, but Harvard Dental School and Harvard Law are back there, too...

Phil said...

Stink. someone just beat me to it.

Anonymous said...

Massachussetts Technical Institute? Is that akin to DeVry Technical Institute? :-) I think it's MIT!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Longfellow a professor at Harvard??? Wasn't that the point of the hint?

Anonymous said...

The purpose of the hint was to set your minds thinking, "Listen my children and you shall hear/
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere." At which point, with your brain just brimming with images of the Old North Church and "one if by land, two if by sea," you realize the city in question is not in Texas after all. It is in fact Boston. Across the river is the city of Cambridge, in which at least two famous universities can be found, as Small Groups Nazi rightly pointed out.

I guess my hint was even more sophisticated than I realized, if it pointed you not only to ol' Paul's midnight ride, but also to the fact that Longfellow was a Harvard professor. He was appointed in 1834. You can read more at http://eclecticesoterica.com/longfellow_bio.html

Doctor J said...

With all this Longfellow and Paul Revere talk I think I stumbled into a serious "nerd alert" here.

Also, Jonathan, you and Clay have it way too easy if you've got time to pull a breaking and entering while on call...I'm quite envious since I'm on call tomorrow.

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bonnie said...

Geez... MIT, MTI... I knew it was something with the words "Massachusetts," "Technical/ Technology," and "Institute" in the title. The way you arrange them, I suppose, is relative. :-)
Hey, I was right, do I get my points???

Anonymous said...

Yes, 20 points for you, Small Groups Nazi.

Anonymous said...

I think it is more "breaking and exiting"

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I think I recognize this special city. How I miss it! I took many walks around this Charles River on milder days. In the winter the ice would pile up on the sides of the embankement. At the north end of the Harvard Bridge is a beautiful street called Commonwealth, with smiling brownstone apartment buildings and old old old sprawling trees. If you walk up the Harvard Bridge to Commonwealth and turn right, about 10 apartments down you come to a stone and marble-faced building with multicolored stained glass on the facade and a big door with a ringed handle. Inside the front bay windows lies one much-beloved room...