Saturday, October 14, 2006

Far Rockaway

Confronted with a one-day weekend (as I'm on call tomorrow) I made a plan for how to best utilize it. This included:
  • Housecleaning. My weekly chores comprise sweeping, dusting, watering plants, and cleaning the kitchen and bathroom.
  • Watching a little of the Ric Burns New York Documentary series.
  • Reading some anesthesiology.
  • Riding the entire length of the A train. It's approximately thirty miles from Washington Heights to Far Rockaway in Queens past JFK Airport. I felt a neat sense of connectedness with my grandmother, Joy, when Mom later told me that Joy would grab a book and ride the "L" in Chicago for an inexpensive day out, exactly as I had done today, some fifty years later.

I wish I'd set aside more time to hang out in Rockaway. It has the feel of a small community despite its being part of the largest city in the United States. Some pictures:

A main street in Rockaway.

A firehouse.

The sandy area which lies just before the beach. The plant life in this place, whether in New York or Florida, always seems rather scrubby.

Park bench in the afternoon sun. I liked the lighting effect in this picture.

A dune with grass.

Silvery waves crashing on the beach. Gulls were flying, and plenty of people were out fishing in the cold water. The salty wind was a refreshing change from the typical Manhattan air.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what ELSE would grow in a sandy beach? Tulips? :)

Anonymous said...

Hello from down under in New Zealand. I was searching the blog world when your blog popped up. You have some really great photos.

As for the comment above - get some plastic tulips, take them to the beach - poke them in the sand and take a photo of them. Then post the photo of tulips - "growing" at the beach !!!

Click on my name if you want to see my blogs.

Jonathan said...

My, I've attracted a sassy reader or two!

Anonymous said...

You do have a loyal following of thousands!
-Joe F. (I finish my surgery rotation Friday, then FP in Waco...counting the days)

Anonymous said...

gorgeous pictures -- you have a good eye.
-cfa

Jonathan said...

Awww, thanks sis!