Monday, October 09, 2006

Gladys' calf

My parents have pared down the herd to two cows. Our original bull, Supper, got sent to the auction along with the majority of his harem. With escalating hay prices and all-too-frequent Texas droughts, it wasn't cost-effective to keep a larger herd.

My parents did keep, however, two cows which tend to have better calves. The quality of the calf can make a big difference in the price per pound they bring at the auction. I have yet to figure out how they'll continue to have calfs, unless that new equipment under the kitchen sink is for bovine IVF.

Here's a couple pictures of Gladys' new calf. (Gladys, in the tradition of naming cows after the women in my dad's family, bears my great-grandmother's eponym.)

1 comment:

Valancy Jane said...

Oooooooooo, baby cows!
I want one.
Then I could put a sign in my apartment window, "Beware of the Cow."

On second thought, perhaps I should simply content myself with the sign.