Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lions & tigers & bears...

I love it when I can link two seemingly unrelated experiences in one post, which I will now proceed to do.

A month or so ago, some friends and I were dining at the Carnegie Deli in Manhattan's Midtown. One in our party ordered a sandwhich called "The Mouth that Roared." At least 8 inches tall, this culinary offering comprised layers of pastrami, cheese, egg, and tomato. Even in the context of the generously portioned fare typical of this establishment, this sandwich was impressive.

While we were talking and laughing about it--even taking pictures--I noticed a 5 year-old girl at the next table who caught sight of the sandwich. She was already an adorable kid to start with, but when her mouth dropped open and she tapped her daddy on the shoulder in total amazement, she transcended levels of cuteness that ordinary kids achieve only on a good day.

And just the other day as I was on the train to Philadelphia, I was speaking with a 30-something woman on her way to a class reunion at Swarthmore. With her was her three-year-old half-Korean, half-Caucasion son, who at one point whispered to his mother. She then looked at me and said, "Would it be okay if Timmy showed you his roar?"

I wish I had him on video! The child squeezed his little hands into fists, arms bent at the elbow, took a deep breath, and then..."Grrrrrrr!!!" The overall effect was that of a kitten trying to imitate a lion's growl.

So there, two cute kids, two roars, one post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something along these lines, perhaps?

DH

http://mark113.blogspot.com/2005/12/i-am-intern-hear-me-roar.html