Saturday, October 08, 2005

My, what a nice eye you have!

So I've sacrificed two hours of sleep just now to go admit a patient in the E.D. (Emergency Department is supposedly the more correct term, as most E.D.'s are more than one room. As for the apostrophe in the previous sentence, discussion will have to wait.) This elderly 95 year-old lady, who moaned every time we touched her with our icy-cold hands, presented with obstipation and a gigantic abdomen. She'd already had two enemas, so we're sending her down in the morning for a hypaque enema...this should do the trick! In the course of the interview, however, I made the faux pas of referring to the white-haired man in the room with us as her husband. It was her son!

Well, the payback for missing sleep is what awaited me in room 3. One of the attendings told me to go do an eye exam. I'd already caught wind of a fake eye, so I was expecting the usual well-made prosthetic globe that looked and moved like a real eye, only with no response to light. This model, however, was a little different. The prosthetic included the eyelid, eyelashes, and skin around the eye in the distribution of the orbicularis oculi. And it was attached to her glasses, coming off when she removed the lenses! This is more or less what the prosthetic looked like:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest thing ever...I would so freak out complete strangers at every possible opportunity if I had that thing.