Friday, April 20, 2007

Another post-call day and a running milestone


Another excellent post-call day. I got a few hours' sleep on call Wednesday night, which was enough to make the day enjoyable. After grand rounds, another resident gave me a ride down to Columbia where I have an associate membership at the fitness center. I worked out for about an hour and took a short nap on William's couch before we headed down to the Upper West Side for lunch at Harry's Burritos and a walk in Central Park, lattes in hand.

I spent the afternoon doing miscellaneous things at home and took another walk in the beautiful, almost even warm, afternoon sun in Fort Tryon Park. After noticing a girl napping on a park bench overlooking the Hudson, the temptation was too great. I folded up my sweater for a pillow and took a fifteen minute snooze on a nearby park bench, though not the one next to the girl. That would be weird.

The day ended with another run with Ezer in preparation for the Marine Marathon in October. This was my first time to do the entire loop in Central Park. (We ran not the square outer streets, but the winding road that approximates the perimeter.) I think my marathon training goals will focus of course on increasing distance on longer Saturday runs (10 and 15 miles will be natural milestones) as well as increasing my speed on shorter runs. (I'd love to get my 4 mile time back down to 28 minutes. So far this spring I haven't done 4 in under 30.) Will keep you posted.
I found this helpful map too.

No comments: