Thursday, April 26, 2007

Spring has arrived

I looked out my window yesterday and was surprised to see tiny green leaves on the trees in Fort Tryon Park. Within just a few days, spring has come. No longer will I see bare wintry branches in the park. Even down in the courtyard, the grass suddenly seems greener, and the daffodils have been joined by a host of smal leafy plants. (Some of that is probably attributable to the lady who gardens here, and not just the recent arrival of Spring.)


After work today, I went home and changed before heading down to Columbus Circle to begin another tour of Central Park. 6.2 miles, 52 minutes. The park today, Thursday, April 26, was amazing. I hesitate to describe it because I know my words won't be sufficient. It was like taking a jog through a beautiful postcard. The weather, of course, was close to sixty degrees, and the afternoon sunbeams slanted in over the rooftops along Central Park West. The redbud, cherry, and dogwood trees were blooming. Faint floral scents were in the air (except for in the southeast corner where I smelled the horses). Yellow daffodils were still blooming, as were the tulips and yellow shrubs. A short detour up on the Reservoir path granted me sweeping views of the skyline over the still blue water. In short, it's hard to imagine a more perfect running path. Today, perhaps as never before, I appreciated this jewel in the heart of the urban jungle of New York City.


(I found these photos of the park on the internet. They capture a bit of what the run was like, only it was beautiful scene followed by beautiful scene for nearly an hour!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're in the middle of summer down here in Texas!