Wednesday, April 11, 2007

This is good to know

I knew that ever since beginning to read a British news source which I will not name here, I've become increasingly confused about placing my periods and commas with relationship to the quotation marks. It used to seem black and white (The comma always goes inside), but more and more these days, logic tells me to place it outside.

For clarification, see this article, apparently written by a teacher of grammar. Grammartips.com has to be reputable! Apparently the British and Americans differ with respect to the placement. The American convention has interesting historical roots, but you'll have to read the article to find out more!

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Sorry for all the exclamation points, DavidO. I really do try to limit them, and I think about you every time.

Anonymous said...

Behold! Prepare ye the way for davido's comment!

Anonymous said...

Enough of your little teaser blogs. If I cared even the slightest bit about the difference between British and American comma conventions and their various historical roots, I would click on your article link. But alas, I will rest better tonight in ignorance. Frivolous exclamation use is a far worse sin.
-DO