Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Vanity and opacity

I was just looking over yesterday's post, and I had a sudden realization that a blog can be a very vain thing. My blog is infatuated with my life. It's all about me. I guess it is nice to be a superstar, but here I am once again writing about my own thoughts. Ah well, still, perhaps, better than regularly emailing every post out to a long list of family and soon to be former friends. As it is they read by choice.

I ran across an interesting letter in this week's Economist, which I will now reproduce in full for the purpose of offering commentary:

"Sir--I believe your obituary on the "death" of "Jean Baudrillard" is in error (March 17th). Sub-Lacanian theory would presuppose that the signified "Baudrillard" is merely a new-modernist capitalist paradox and "death" is a sub-textual patriachalist paradigm interpolated through a post-colonialist hermeneutic.

"As such, as Sontag states, "society is dead"; the signifier is merely replicated as a series of pre-cultural totalities implying post-Foucaultian absurdity. A Derridean reading would suggest that Murphy's mythopoetic reality is a more appropriate gesture to assume."

Thor Halland
Pattaya, Thailand

My commentary: Most pieces are written to communicate ideas. That is not the case here. But I do like the term "mythopoetic".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ah well, still, perhaps, better..."????

Anonymous said...

Are any of the articles written in English?

Anonymous said...

What I was thinking as I read that..."OK, bunch of philosophers I don't know anything about...I'm not understanding these sentences...Hmm. I usually read Newsweek, what grade reading level is Newsweek written for? 8th or 9th grade? What grade reading level is the Economist written in? Good night! I've finished college and med school, shouldn't I understand some of this? No, this person is trying to sound too smart......."

humbled reader and "soon to be former friend"?? in LA

Jonathan said...

What I meant by "former friends" is that if indeed my blog is nothing more than an infatuated account of my life, and if I were to e-mail entries to people (sort of a daily or weekly newsletter), that would be a good way to lose friends. AS it is, no one can blame anyone but himself for reading Mulberry Street!

Anonymous said...

Actually, would it be too troublesome to email me a daily account of your life? As it is, I sometimes forget for days on end to check your blog and tend to miss out on which crossword puzzle you we're working on or juice you drank that morning.
davido